We were honoured to receive yet another project assignment from our esteemed client Slovenská sporiteľňa. Our task was to design and produce 12 tombstones awards.
The following photo documentation depicts the step by step process of production.
STEPS OF PRODUCTION
1. Five designs of tombstones awards were created in a 3D modelling software. One was chosen for the production.
2. The chosen 3D model was then 3D printed in gypsum composite (sandstone, plaster).
3. The 3D printed model was de-powdered, strenghtened with epoxy, glued, cemented, sanded and varnished with spray for a smooth finish.
4. The finished 3D printed model was put into a specially created plywood form and used as a positive form for silicone molding.
5. The liquid silicone mold was poured over the positive form.
6. The later hardened silicone was used as negative form for casting.
7. The liquid polyester glass was casted into the silicone form 12 times.
8. The hardened polyester glass casts were sanded, polished and cleaned thoroughly for a smooth finish.
9. The final step was to stick labels onto the finished tombstones awards. We chosed the wet method – to stick the foils on water in order to avoid undesirable bubbles and imperfections.
If you’d like to learn more about molding and casting, click on one of our previous blogs 3D printing as a tool for molding and casting.